Row one is next to the flagpole. Stones run left to right.
To research information found in these biographies, click here.

LCDR Michael Danner, Navy, 1995-2005 Row 37, Stone 11

Donald H. Davis, Sr., Army, 1944-1945   Row 23, Stone 6

James Davis, Army, 1939-1945   Row 24, Stone 8

Shirley Cox Delaney, Air Force, 1954-1976   Row 19, Stone 10
Shirley entered the United States Air Force in 1954 as a nurse. Her career included tours of duty at Gunter Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama as well as Brookley Air Force Base in Mobile, Alabama.  She also served at Hickman Air Force Base in Honolulu, Hawaii, Malstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, Montana, and Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, Illinois.  Thule Air Force Base in Thule, Greenland was located 700 miles north of the Arctic Circle and 950 miles from the North Pole.  Shirley then served at Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, Texas, then on to Goose Bay Air Force Base in Labrador, Canada and Barksdale Air Force Base in Bossier City, Louisiana. She retired in September 1976 with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Her military decorations include the National Defense Service Medal; Outstanding Unit Citation; Air Force Commendation Medal; and Meritorious Service Medal.
Her ashes are buried in Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington, Virginia.
Daniel P. Delinski, Army, 2009-   Row 21, Stone 1
Logan Dickey, Army, 1949-1952   Row 23, Stone 2

Donald I. Dorsey, Marines, 1942-1945 Row 34, Stone 8

Michael Dorsey, Navy, 1966-1970 Row 34, Stone 9

Stefan M. Drafahl, Air Force, 2009-  Row 1, Stone 6

David D. DuBois, Army, 1957-1959    Row 32, Stone 2

Donald P. DuBois, Army, 1953-1955   Row 32, Stone 1
Herman R. DuBois, Army, 1951-1956   Row 32, Stone 3

Chuck Dudley, Navy, 1968-1972   Row 24, Stone 6

Donald I. Dunlap, Army, 1956-1958 Row 34, Stone 11

Charles Rolland Eckhoff, Army, 1950-1952   Row 13, Stone 6

Ronald T. Eertmoed, Navy, 1955-1957   Row 17, Stone 12
Edgar E. Eggers, Army, 1950-1953   Row 18, Stone 2

Randle E. Eggers, Army, 1973-1977   Row 18, Stone 3

William C. Elliott, Jr., Army, 1940-1945   Row 22, Stone 4

Gary W. Ellis, Navy, 1966-1970   Row 30, Stone 1
Dallas J. Emmons, Marines, 2006-2010   Row 5, Stone 6

Jacob D. Emmons, Marines, 2002-2010   Row 5, Stone 5

Ricky A. Emmons, Marines, 1976-1980   Row 5, Stone 3

Rod D. Emmons, Marines, 1980-1986   Row 5, Stone 4

Carl Endress, Army, 1917-1918   Row 31, Stone 1

Carl Landes Endress, Army, 1944-1946   Row 22, Stone 10

Jim Evans, Marines, 1966-1969   Row 18, Stone 6

Ralph J. (Jim) Evans, Marines, 1966-1969    Row 18, Stone 7
Jacob Edwin Ewing, Army, 1958-1960   Row 27, Stone 3

Herbert L. Fahlberg, Army, 1943-1946  Row 32, Stone 7

Donald "Pete" Fawer, Navy, 1959-1963   Row 4, Stone 12

Raymond "Mick" Fawer, Navy, 1944-1946   Row 25, Stone 11

Raymond "Mick" Fawer was born and raised in Tremont. He married Bernice Unsicker, and they had two daughters, Sally Marek and Rebecca Clinch. Raymond served in the United States Navy in the Pacific during WW 11. He was civic minded and served with the Tremont Fire Department. He also helped construct the existing building for The American Legion. Raymond was employed by Caterpillar Tractor Company and retired after 32 years of service. He was of the Baptist faith. He passed away on January 27, 1993.

Louis E. Fensterman, Army, Corporal, 1942-1946 Row 34, Stone 5

Louis, (Lightfoot) Fensterman, served in the Army during WWII 1942-1946.  He married LaVerne Guile November 16, 1948, and had three children, Donald, Barb Luick and Debbie Cole. He was a member of The Tremont Baptist Church.  He loved fishing and hunting for morels with his daughter, Barb, and pitching horseshoes in the park.  He died July 11, 1993.

C. William Fisher, Army, 1984-1991   Row 24, Stone 7

Gary M. Flannigan, Army, 1966-1968   Row 16, Stone 6

Reason David Flannigan, Marine, 1942-1946   Row 16, Stone 5

RD was born on May 21, 1920 and entered the U.S. Marine Corps on March 2, 1942. He went to San Diego, California for Boot Camp. Soon after, he boarded a ship for the American Samoa’s in the 2nd Defense Battalion for 7 months. During the Battle of Tarawa, RD was in the 2nd Marine Division and wounded on Tarawa by a bomb exploding.
 During the Battle of Tarawa, they were ordered to take no prisoners. The battle was bloody and human scraps were all over the island. There was an odor that cannot be described. The Japanese would just not give up. The Japanese defenses were outstanding with coconut logs with coral on top of it. The Japanese General said that the island couldn’t be taken in a hundred years. The machine guns on the beach would rake the entrance of the island, mowing down many Marines.
 RD got in late on the invasion and the sun had already set by the time he hit the beach. He had no choice but to step on flesh in order to move forward on the beach. A bomb exploded near him and he received shrapnel in his body and thus received a Purple Heart for his injuries.
 The Marines had 40 millimeter weapons, but they were not powerful enough to reach the heights of enemy planes strafing the beach. 90 millimeter weapons finally arrived and they were powerful enough to reach and shoot down enemy planes.
 The battle was planned to take 2 ½ hours. The battle ended up taking 2 ½ to 3 days.

Arthur W. Fleeharty, Army, 1945-1945    Row 18, Stone 4

Kevin A. Fleeharty, Army, 1985-1992    Row 18, Stone 5

Edwin J. Fontana, Navy, 1943-1945   Row 23, Stone 11

Edwin J. Fontana, the father of Doreda Fontana Hildebrand and Mary Fontana Nichols, served in WWII in the Navy. He was on the ship USS Admiralty Islands (CVE-99) which was assigned to Carrier Transport Squadron, Pacific Fleet. This ship carried replacement aircraft and passengers from the west coast to the Western Pacific. On February15, 1945, the ship joined the logistic support force for raids on Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and the Japanese home Islands. After the surrender, this ship joined the "Magic Carpet" fleet carrying home service men from the Pacific. Edwin was a radio specialist on the USS Admiralty Islands, which received three battle stars for service. He died at the age of 79 and is buried in Butler National Cemetery in Springfield, IL
USS Admiralty Islands (CVE-99)

Denver L. Ford, Army, 1989-2012   Row 32, Stone 12

Denver L. Ford, Jr. ,Army, 2005-   Row 33, Stone 12

Richard J. Fox, Navy/Seabees, 1945-1974   Row 28, Stone 11

Elmer C. Frank, Army, 1942-1943   Row 30, Stone 2

Carl L. Frederick, Navy Seabees, 1968-1972 Row 37, Stone 10

Danny Frederick, Army, 1966-1968 Row 37, Stone 02

Mark Christopher Frederick, Air Force, 1995-1999 Row 37, Stone 03

John W. Frederick, Jr., Marines, 1942-1972   Row 24, Stone 9

John Fredrick served in WWII, AF9J as a radio/radar/tail gunner in TBM torpedo bomber.
He also flew in one of the very early radar-equipped fighters for the
Marine Corps during the Korean War.  He flew in the rear "cockpit" of the
Grumman F7F (two seat version) Tiger Cat.
He was an enlisted man operating a very small and limited capability air
intercept radar system.  His squadron flew night intercept and interdiction
missions.  The aircraft apparently had no, or almost no, air conditioning
system.   John essentially sat on a box with this gadget before him on
missions over North Korea in the dead of winter.  Warmth came from an
electric flight suit that was plugged into the aircraft's electrical system
which did not work very well.
Private John Frederick fought in WWII in the Pacific then stayed in Asia as
a China Marine, flying as crew in a TBF or TBM.  He would tell of the
immense frustration in post WWII of flying overhead the Mao Communist troops
and being unable to fire on them "unless fired at".  He said they would fly
armed recce missions, find Mao's troops and could actually observe them
stowing their weapons (knowing the "ground rules") and then as soon as the
recce would leave the scene, the war was on again.
John's experience in those early (USMC) days of radar intercept would later
take him to Pax River where, as Gunnery Sgt and Master Sgt (E-7 & E-8) he
would be significantly involved in the development of the F-4 radar
intercept systems.
John Frederick was the "GIB" or guy in back on the high-altitude classified fighter escort mission.
A fellow Marine, John Dunn, was captured 13 December 1965, he lived in seven different POW
camps (prisons and jails); and spent 34 months in solitary confinement.
Dunn said detention could be characterized as "months of nothingness,
punctuated by moments of stark terror." Treatment prior to November 1969 was
bad. Food was insufficient in quantity. Many men were in solitary; no time
outside of cells and frequent torture and harsh punishment.
Prisoners were tortured primarily to force participation in propaganda
efforts that would benefit the North Vietnamese government and to attempt to
break up our prisoner of war organization, which is provided for under
International Law, Dunn says.
After Sontay Raid by a combined ARForce/Army Elite Force, December 1970 no
mass torture purges; food was adequate but quality remained poor, Dunn
remembers. Prisoners were allowed to live 20 to 40 men to a room and two to
four hours daily of outdoor time. No textbooks, pens, paper or outdoor
athletic games were allowed until August-September 1972 except for selected
groups for very brief periods. These actions were designed to garner
favorable publicity for North Vietnamese government.
Frederick was selected for the Warrant Officer program and appointed
WO1 in July 1961 while stationed at Patuxent River Naval Air Station.  In
July of 1964 he was promoted to WO2.  He was a WO2 when he was shot down and
taken prisoner in 1965.  He was promoted posthumously to CWO4.
A fellow P.O.W. stated "....I had the privilege and honor of getting to know
this incredibly tough, kind and gentle man."
John William Frederick Jr. severely burned his hands upon ejection. Years
later, the EGRESS reports stated returning POWs told debriefers that while
in captivity, Frederick contracted typhoid fever and slipped into a coma.
Camp guards decided to move him to Hanoi in 1972 when he had a prolonged
104 degree fever. It is believed he died en route to Hanoi. His remains were
returned March 13, 1974.
Lt. Col. Orson Swindle recalls, "I had the privilege of meeting his
beautiful wife, Lorraine, and his kids as I delivered his decorations to
them in the mid-to-late 70s. They and we lost a good one when we lost John

Normally, the naming of rooms is done on a local level that does not involve gaining formal endorsement from HQMC, and therefore, no records usually exist in this office. Luckily, in the case of the room naming for CWO4 John W. Frederick, Jr., USMC (DEC), a formal request was made which resulted in us having a file.
 On 16 November 1998, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen Charles C. Krulak, approved the naming of the Study Room in O'Bannon Hall at The Basic School at Marine Corps Base Quantico in Quantico, Virginia, in honor of CWO4 Frederick.

Raymond F. Funk, Army, 1942-1945, Row 35, Stone 10
PFC Raymond Franklin Funk entered the Army 33rd Division in 1942-1945 as a mechanic, his duties were to keep the vehicles running in good condition.He often  said he hated going out in the field to fix a broke down truck, and always made the joke he had to dodge bullets to get to the vehicles and hoped none would hit him in the backside while he was under the hood so the guys could get back to the base.

Ray was very proud of all his medals and loved to bring them out to show anyone who wanted to see them.

Ray served in the WW2 Korean war and was very proud to be a veteran.

Ray really enjoyed the Veterans Honor Flight, Even though he liked all of it I think the airplanes was one of his favorites.

Ray passed away June 7,2012

D. Bryan Freeman, Army, 1963-1965, Row 28, Stone 03